One of the first websites I browse to each morning is Seth Merrow's Equidaily.Com which provides an easy-to-read look at all the major headlines in the world of horse racing. In addition to traditional news, there are often links to oddities and historical information.
The latter type of link piqued my interest last week as Equidaily pointed me in the direction of the British Pathe Archive. According to a Guardian report:
The British Pathe archive claims to have 3,500 hours of video, accumulated between 1910 and 1970 by the company that used to provide all those cinema newsreels with the posh-sounding voice over. It's all free to view and there is a lot of horse racing in there, from famous races to 'atmosphere' shots at various tracks that show, startlingly, the vast numbers of people that used to turn up to watch. The commentary to a Grand National clip from the 1930s claims attendance of 250,000, more than three times the course's current capacity.
I've spent a fair amount of time on "The Pathe" over the past week and enjoyed a number of historical Kentucky Derby videos. (Click on the picture to launch the video.)
Northern Dancer wins the 1964 Kentucky Derby
Alfred Vanderbilt watches the 1953 Kentucky Derby won by Dark Star
Papyrus v Zev (Kentucky Derby winner in 1923)
Cavalcade wins the 1934 Kentucky Derby
In addition to a variety of incredible historical footage of the Kentucky Derby, you can spend a lot of time on this site keyword searching by race or horse name and enjoy a ton of video. For example:
Ribero wins the Irish Derby at the Curragh
Sheila's Cottage wins the 1948 Grand National
Ballymoss wins the 1958 Arc de Triomphe
At any rate, there's a lot of history there to explore. I sincerely hope that the historically inclined Colin's Ghost will provide a thorough analysis in one of his future posts!
* * *
With Eskendereya and Rule out of the Derby and filly Devil May Care in, here's a quick look at the 2010 Kentucky Derby graded earnings list (Only 20 horses can make the gate):
Rank - Horse - Earnings
1, Lookin At Lucky, $1,480,000
2, Noble's Promise, $738,000
3, Sidney's Candy, $630,000
4,Line of David, $600,000
5, Mission Impazible, $485,934
6, Ice Box, $457,500
7, Stately Victor, $451,112
8, Endorsement, $400,000
9, Conveyance, $386,000
10, American Lion, $378,000
11, Dublin, $373,208
12, Super Saver, $363,832
13, Devil May Care, $363,000
14, Discreetly Mine, $340,000
15, Dean's Kitten, $326,475
16, Interactif, $307,950
17, Awesome Act, $285,000
18, Paddy O'Prado, $250,950
19, Homeboykris, $250,500
20, Jackson Bend, $230,000
21, Backtalk, $225,916
22, Make Music for Me, $218,750
23, Pleasant Prince, $189,278
24, A Little Warm, $180,000
25, Setsuko, $180,000
Those punters getting ready for a weekend of Kentucky Derby betting please return to TripleDeadHeat daily for the latest updates.
* * *
The post position draw for the Kentucky Oaks was held earlier this morning. The Thoroughbred Times reports:
Kentucky Oaks (G1) morning-line favorite Blind Luck will break from post five in the 1 1/8-mile test for three-year-old fillies on Friday at Churchill Downs.
The five spot fit in the wide range trainer Jerry Hollendorfer and jockey Rafael Bejarano considered favorable for the three-time Grade 1 winner.
“I think that post is good. I was talking to Rafael this morning and we thought that anywhere from the five on out to the ten would be all right for us,” said Hollendorfer after watching the draw in the front row of with about 40 people gathered in the Churchill Downs racing office. “Rafael’s happy with that.”
Here is the complete field for the 136th Kentucky Oaks in post position order:
It's Tea Time, Alan Garcia, 15-1
Jody Slew, Miguel Mena, 30-1
Quiet Temper, Robby Albarado, 10-1
Age of Humor, Rajiv Maragh, 30-1
Blind Luck, Rafael Bejarano, 6-5
Beautician, Alex Solis, 15-1
Crisp, Joel Rosario, 8-1
Tidal Pool, Calvin Borel, 8-1
Bella Diamante, Mike Smith, 30-1
Champagne d'Oro, Martin Garcia, 30-1
Evening Jewel, Kent Desormeaux, 10-1
Ailalea, John Velazquez, 15-1
Amen Hallelujah, Julien Leparoux, 8-1
Joanie's Catch, Paco Lopez, 30-1
It was also confirmed that Careless Jewel has been scratched from the La Troienne and a potential match up with horse of the year Rachel Alexandra. The super filly Rachel Alexandra will make her second start of 2010 against nemesis Zardana and four others: Be Fair, Morena, Unrivaled Belle and Distinctive Dixie.
Please note the following recent workouts and results of 2010 Queen's Plate contenders.
* Who's Big Daddy breezed 5F in 1:01.80 on the Woodbine poly on April 27. Rank 13/22
* Mobthewarrior breezed 5F in 1:01.80 on the Woodbine poly on April 27. Rank 13/22
* Abogado worked 6F in 1:19 handily on the Woodbine poly on April 27. Rank 3/3
* Arepeatee breezed 4F in 49.20 on the Woodbine poly on April 27. Rank 7/14
* Silent Running breezed 5F in 1:04.80 on the Woodbine poly on April 26. Rank 43/44
* Roman Games breezed 5F in 1:01.40 on the Woodbine poly on April 26. Rank 12/44
* Born to Act breezed 4F in 52.60 on the Woodbine poly on April 25. Rank 52/52
* Ghost Fleet breezed 5F in 1:00.80 on the Woodbine poly on April 25. Rank 12/68
* Fastin Bear breezed 5F in 1:04.20 on the Woodbine dirt on April 24. Rank 16/17
* Big Red Mike breezed 5F in 1:01.20 on the Woodbine poly on April 24. Rank 39/92
* Cognashene breezed 4F in 48 on the Woodbine poly on April 24. Rank 14/63
* Giant's Tomb breezed 6F in 1:13.60 on the Woodbine poly on April 24. Rank 2/4
* Stormy Lord breezed 5F in 1:01 on the Woodbine poly on April 24. Rank 31/92
* Hotep breezed 6F in 1:11.80 on the Woodbine poly on April 24. Rank 1/4
* Kevin Rawks breezed 5F in 1:04.40 on the Woodbine poly on April 24. Rank 88/92
* Doctor Jack breezed 5F in 1:00.20 on the Woodbine poly on April 24. Rank 6/92
* Essence Hit Man finished 1st by 3/4 lengths, on April 25, 2010, at WOODBINE in Race 8.
* D's Wando finished 2nd beaten by 3/4 lengths, on April 25, 2010, at WOODBINE in Race 8.
* Legal Review finished 6th beaten by 5 lengths, on April 25, 2010, at WOODBINE in Race 9.
* Race for Gold finished 3rd beaten by 2 1/4 lengths, on April 25, 2010, at WOODBINE in Race 9.
* * *
As always, please check the Woodbine News tab throughout the day for the latest updates.