It was a weekend for the ladies as three names made their mark. Ontario-bred Embur's Song, a three year-old Unbridled's Song filly, was a dominant winner at Keeneland breaking her maiden with a 99 Beyer figure; Kentucky-bred Proud Heiress took the Whimsical Stakes here at Woodbine in a thrilling finish; and immediately following the Whimsical, three year-old Ontario-bred filly Platinum Exchange zipped a 90 Beyer as she broke her maiden on the Woodbine poly.
First, let's deal with the buzz around filly Embur's Song. The following report is from the Taylor Made Stallions website:
Saturdays at Keeneland always bring out the best horses, and none looked better on the main stage Apr. 17 than debut winner Embur's Song, who devastated a 12-horse field of 3-year-old maidens by a whopping 13 1/4-lengths. The bay daughter of Unbridled's Song covered the Beard Course distance of 7 furlongs, 184 feet in a very good 1:25 4/5 seconds, garnering a 99 Beyer Speed Figure.
Embur's Song broke running from post 11 with Garrett Gomez in the irons, and despite Gomez's tight hold, the bay filly made the lead with little trouble. She maintained a length and a half advantage through a quick half-mile in :45 2/5 seconds, then with a little nudge from the rider, galloped away from the field in the matter of a few strides. There was little drama the rest of the way as the margin only increased wire loomed.
Fares Farm bought Embur's Song at the 2008 Keeneland September yearling sale for $170,000. Out of the winning mare Embur Sunshine, Embur's Song is a half-sister to the Canadian stakes winner Ten Flat.
Embur's Song a dominant winner at Keeneland
On Sunday, Proud Heiress captured the Grade 3 Whimsical Stakes making up more than 10 lengths to win a 3 horse photo over Tribal Belle and Silver Z.
Proud Heiress sprints to victory in the Whimsical
Triple Dead Heat is a huge fan of Exchange Rate. The Three Chimney's stallion has provided a number of winners at Woodbine and on Sunday his Ontario-bred daughter Platinum Exchange broke her maiden with a 90 Beyer figure. The filly had a huge lead early on and looked to be caught turning into the stretch only to switch to another gear and pull away once more. This one could be headed to the Woodbine Oaks next.
Platinum Exchange ridden out at Woodbine on Sunday
* * *
There was a scary moment in Sunday's seventh race when jockey Rob Landry hit the ground after his mount Counter Move clipped heels with Dublin Lane. As the horses raced through the turn, Landry was nearly run over by Michael's Bad Boy. In the video, you can see a concerned Eurico Rosa da Silva take several looks over his shoulder as he pulled up Michael's Bad Boy. Landry walked away from the spill and got right back up on the horse aboard Authenicat in the Whimsical. A fortunate event as both jockey and horse came out of the spill with a clean bill of health.
Rob Landry survives a nasty spill
* * *
Queen's Plate Notes
Mobilizer is entered in Keeneland's 7th race on April 22nd - a 1 3/16M event on the all weather track. Also entered in this race is Chiefswood Ontario-bred Macallan. Corey Nakatani retains the mount on Mobilizer for trainer Roger Attfield. To see full entries, please CLICK HERE.
As you might recall, Mobilizer made a solid debut back on April 8th finishing second. Captain Canuck, who ran a very distracted 8th in that event, came back with a sharp 5F work at Keeneland in 1:00.40. That work was ranked fifth best of the day, the bullet belonging to Josie Carroll's Careless Jewel who zipped the five furlongs in 57.80. Yikes!
Dixie Trouper is entered to run in the Harry Henson Stakes - a six furlong turf sprint - on April 21st at Hollywood Park. To see full entries, please CLICK HERE.
Recent Queen's Plate contender results include:
Woodbine's sixth race On April 17th featured a bevy on contenders including Powermouse,Vicar Street, Dark Cloud Dancer and Artic Fern.
Sam-Son Farm colt Dark Cloud Dancer combined with Artic Fern to lead the field through a swift opening quarter of 22:4. Into the far turn, the pair began to pull away from the field hitting the half in 45 flat. Artic Fern, on the outside of Dark cloud Dancer, had a slight advantage into the stretch but the Sam-Son colt refused to back down and fought gamely down the lane and held on for place as Artic Fern hit the wire first in 1:15:2. Vicar Street closed late for third with Powermouse up for the final superfecta spot. The top pair were never threatened by the rest of the field.
To see the chart please CLICK HERE.
Artic Fern sprints to victory over Dark Cloud Dancer
Woodbine's ninth race on April 17th featured General Staff and Kid Canuck.
Sports Select led the field to the far turn in a swift quarter of 21:4. C'mon Man stalked the hot pace and made a move to Sports Select's outside as General Staff followed the leaders gamely. By midstretch it seemed as though the entire field was closing with purpose, Always Wildcatin' loomed most dangerous of all but Sports Select simply pulled away from the field hitting the wire in a time of 56:3. Always Wildcatin' got up for place with Kingston Road third and General Staff fourth. Kid Canuck did not fire on this day.
To see the chart please CLICK HERE.
Sports Select the choice with General Staff in fourth
Woodbine's sixth race on April 16th featured Dashing Tom, Where's The fire, Abruptly, Grittani and Arepeatee.
The five furlong allowance sprint for Ontario-sired three-year olds featured eight horses. Apprentice jock Omar Moreno rattled off a sharp quarter in 21.62 aboard Selective Hearing before Emma-Jayne Wilson and Grittani asserted authority. Dashing Tom settled in behind that pair and chased them through a half in 45.15. Grittani shook loose at the top of the stretch but Dashing Tom was quick to chase and from the back of the pack Arepeatee and Chantal Sutherland began to pick off horses one by one. With the wire looming, Grittani held on bravely to win by a neck over Dashing Tom who in turn had a neck advantage over Arepeatee. The latter galloped through the wire ever so strongly and will certainly appreciate some added distance next out. The final time of 58.05 was excellent.
To see the chart please CLICK HERE.
Grittani makes a big impression over fellow Plate contenders
Recent Queen's Plate contender workouts and notes:
* Joey's Best worked 6F handily in 1:13.60 on the Woodbine poly on April 20. Rank 1/6
* D's Legend Storm breezed 5F in 1:01.20 on the Woodbine poly on April 20. Rank 20/35
* Hollinger breezed 5F in 1:02 on the Keeneland poly on April 17. Rank 22/34
* Who's Big Daddy breezed 4F in 49.60 on the Woodbine poly on April 19. Rank 19/33
* Ghost Fleet breezed 4F in 50 on the Woodbine poly on April 19. Rank 27/33
* Arrow's Conquest worked 4F in 48.60 handily on the Woodbine poly on April 19. Rank 12/33
* D's Wando worked 5F in 1:00.80 handily on the Woodbine poly on April 19. Rank 4/48
* Stormy Lord worked 5F in 1:00 handily on the Woodbine poly on April 19. Rank 1/48
* Legal Review breezed 4F in 48.40 on the Woodbine poly on April 18. Rank 6/62
* Southern Pride breezed 5F in 1:01.20 on the Woodbine dirt on April 17. Rank 4/31
* Silent Running breezed 5F in 1:04.20 on the Woodbine poly on April 17. Rank 77/88
* Mobil Unit breezed 5F in 1.01.60 on the Woodbine dirt on April 17. Rank 8/31
* Doctor Jack breezed 5F in 1:02.60 on the Woodbine poly on April 17. Rank 37/88
* Kevin Rawks worked 4F in 48.80 handily on the Woodbine poly on April 17. Rank 12/62
* Race for Gold worked 5F in 1.00.60 handily on the Woodbine poly on April 17. Rank 2/88
* Captain Canuck breezed 5F in 1:00.40 on the Keeneland poly on April 17. Rank 5/32
* Fastin Bear breezed 3F in 37.40 on the Woodbine poly on April 17. Rank 8/24
* Dixie Trouper breezed 4F in 49.60 on the Santa Anita all weather track on April 18. Rank 44/50
* Atlantic Key breezed 4F in 48.60 on the Woodbine poly on April 16. Rank 8/47
* Mobilizer breezed 5F in 59.80 on the Woodbine poly on April 16. Rank 2/61
* It's Time Bear breezed 5F in 1.02 on the Woodbine dirt on April 16. Rank 6/10
* Born to Act breezed 3F in 37 on the Keeneland poly on April 16. Rank 9/14
* Giant's Tomb breezed 4F in 49.80 on the Keeneland poly on April 15. Rank 19/24
* Abogado breezed 5F in 1.04.40 on the Woodbine poly on April 15. Rank 43/44
* Kid Canuck finished 6th beaten by 7 lengths, on April 17, 2010, at WOODBINE in Race 9.
* General Staff finished 4th beaten by 4 3/4 lengths, on April 17, 2010, at WOODBINE in Race 9.
* Dark Cloud Dancer finished 2nd beaten by 1 1/2 lengths, on April 17, 2010, at WOODBINE in Race 6.
* Vicar Street finished 3rd beaten by 4 3/4 lengths, on April 17, 2010, at WOODBINE in Race 6.
* Powermouse finished 4th beaten by 5 1/2 lengths, on April 17, 2010, at WOODBINE in Race 6.
* Arepeatee finished 3rd beaten by 1/2 lengths, on April 16, 2010, at WOODBINE in Race 6.
* Grittani finished 1st by a neck, on April 16, 2010, at WOODBINE in Race 6.
* Abruptly finished 6th beaten by 3 lengths, on April 16, 2010, at WOODBINE in Race 6.
* Where's the Fire finished 8th beaten by 7 3/4 lengths, on April 16, 2010, at WOODBINE in Race 6.
* Dashing Tom finished 2nd beaten by a neck, on April 16, 2010, at WOODBINE in Race 6.
* * *
Apologies for not having more photos and stories to share from the weekend. I celebrated a birthday over the weekend and The Lovely Amy whisked me away to Niagara Falls where we went on a scenic trail ride and then enjoyed a quiet dinner and some cross-border shopping. The trail ride was a lot of fun and I'll likely post a few pictures later in the week of Amy and I with our tubby horses!
* * *
Be sure to keep up-to-date throughout the day with the latest in racing news on Triple Dead Heat's Woodbine News tab.
As well, you will find a slew of photos in the Triple Dead Heat Photo Gallery.